Sunday, April 26, 2015

Fashion in the 1920's

Fashion in the 1920’s was such a leap from the earlier decades because women were finally dressing more modern. Dresses were shorter in length, pants were worn by women, and styles were much more dramatic and glitzy than before. In “Nice Work If You Can Get It”, the costumes we wore were very to date with the time period. In this blog post, I will be talking about the different costumes I wore and how that was in style in the 1920’s.

In the opening scene of the musical, the chorus girls wore red flapper dresses. This dress was the fashion symbol of the 1920’s. Flapper girls, or young women who behaved and dressed in a boldly unconventional manner, wore these types of dresses when they were out at a bar or club dancing. These dresses usually had a lot of fringe on them, crazy beading, and usually stopped at their knees (which was very scandalous to do in the 1920’s)

When I first entered the stage, I wore a blue A-line skirt that stopped at my knees, a white blouse, gloves, and a fur coat. My character, Eileen Evergreen, was a whiney, expensive girl who is known as the “finest interpreter of modern dance in the world” so she had to wear the most expensive looking outfits. I also had on a lot of jewelry like pearl necklaces, earrings, and a diamond ring to look more high class. Pearls were a definite jewelry must in the 1920’s, whether it was pearl necklaces, pearl earrings, or pearl rings; that stone was worn by all the ladies.

For the men, they wore pin stripped suits. This style was very popular among men back in the 20’s, especially for those who went to clubs and bars a lot. The pin strip was what really showed that the suits were from the 1920’s, pin strip wasn’t much of a fashion trend in the later years.

At the end of the show, it is my wedding day. I wore a gorgeous white lace dress that stopped right above my ankles. I thought it was the perfect 1920’s wedding dress because it had the classic fabric of a wedding dress, yet the style was clearly from the 1920’s with it’s shortened length and the A-line look. I paired this dress with a pink pearl necklace and pearl earrings and of course, a veil. Even though I got left at the alter, I sure looked great!


My favorite fashion decade would definitely be the twenties! I loved the fringy flapper dresses, the classic pearl jewelry, and the dramatic makeup looks. It was definitely the roaring twenties!

No comments:

Post a Comment